Thursday, January 23, 2014

I liked the poem by Seamus Heaney we went over, since it gave the reader a good idea of an Irish family's tradition and a strong sense of physical labor that was conveyed with solid imagery. However, I read the next poem after "Digging", which was "Mid-Term Break", and I found that I liked that one a lot better. The poem is pretty subtle, and drops hints of what the story is about, until the reader gets to the final, icy lines: "A four foot box, a foot for every year." That line especially struck me as something tragically beautiful. The way he portrayed the death of his younger brother without ever explicitly saying it is something all aspiring poets should consider; by being subtle at times, I think it makes for more effective poetry, such as Heaney's example. I wish we would have done that poem too, but it's okay; maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment