Wednesday, January 22, 2014

After reading "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", I am surprisingly pleased. I was expecting it to be much like "The Wasteland", and am relieved it does not take the same poetic feel. While I've heard the references to the poem before, such as the famous lines of "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" and "Shall I part my hair behind? / Do I dare to eat a peach? ... I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each", I am glad now to have read the actual thing.

I liked a lot of the imagery Eliot gives, especially the in the lines,

 "And would it have been worth it, after all
 After the cups, the marmalade, the tea,
Among the porcelain, among some talk of you and me,
 Would it have been worth while,
To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
To have squeezed the universe into a ball..."
 as well as

"I have seen them riding seaward on the wave
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
 When the wind blows the water white and black."

There are something about those lines that flow beautifully and present thoughtful images to the reader, and actually do make me partial to an Eliot poem.

Also, I find it interesting he references Hamlet in the poem, with his hatred for the character and all. I suppose the dislike does manifest, since the line says, "No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be"; still, it's funny to see him namedropping Hamlet into the poem to show that the narrator is not as pathetic and indecisive as the titular Shakespearean character.

No comments:

Post a Comment