Wednesday, January 22, 2014

For some reason, the more I know about T.S Eliot, the more I dislike him.

It all started when I had to read "The Wasteland" for American Classics last year. I mean, there were nice images, but wow was that poem the most confusing thing I have ever read. And even after Dr. Brown explained every reference involved in the poem, it still didn't necessarily warm me up to Eliot's work.

A few months ago, I read something briefly about how the entirety of "The Wasteland" was plagiarized, since it takes directly from other people's works. Now, I don't know how of much of that is entirely true, but it is interesting to think about; however, it is even more interesting, with the aforementioned statement in mind, to think of Eliot criticizing Shakespeare for plagiarizing Hamlet. Obviously, I haven't read the "original" version of Hamlet's story, but I'm quite sure it isn't exactly the same thing as Shakespeare's version. It might take some parts of the original plot, but I honestly doubt it's completely stolen from.

Regardless, his criticism of Hamlet (namely the possible hypocrisy in it), only strengthens my dislike for Eliot. However, I'm about to read "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", and hopefully it won't be as dreadful as I'm expecting it to be... wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment