Thursday, January 9, 2014

Also, reading Melville's "Bartleby, the Scrivener" again was a lot better than when I read it for American Classics last spring. I mean, it was still a longer read than the other short stories we have read so far, and it definitely feels like the exposition trudges on for longer than it should, but it's still a nice read. Melville's characterization and quirks of his employees are very human and hysterical, especially how Turkey's drinking and Nipper's indigestion foil each other at different parts of the day.

However, I can't recall the reason behind Bartleby's idleness, besides that he "prefers not" to move. It definitely symbolizes something else, but I'm not currently remembering what it was, and I'm a little too tired myself to try and dive into it (rather, I would prefer not to analyze it at this time). Still, it's curious, and because of said curious behavior, I think it's what makes the story interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment